Home » Living the territory » Points of interest » Archaeology and castles

Castle of San Martino della Vaneza

Via San Martino, 23 - Cervarese S. Croce

The Castle of San Martino della Vaneza was built as a military outpost at the border between the territories of Padua and Vicenza, along that very ancient communication route that is the Bacchiglione river, and it immediately gained both strategic and commercial importance; the mighty tower, which is the most ancient part of the complex, dates back to the 12th century. The castle survived the devastation perpetrated by Ezzelino da Romano and, starting from 1324, it was a property of the Carraresi family. After 1405, under the Venetian domination, it was turned into an inland port; the Venetian Vendramin family became the castle owner in 1489.

 

 

Municipality: Cervarese San Croce (PD) | View on Map
Castle of San Martino della Vaneza
Castle of San Martino della Vaneza
(photo by PR Colli Euganei)
 
Share on